It is no easy task getting the message, topic, goal, and terminology ready – but that is all just prep work for finalizing your press release format.
Once we have the basics covered, we have completed our brainstorming (here if you missed) it’s time to structure our press release. There are really an unlimited number of reasons a press release is made, so you may have to be creative if it’s on a topic we dont cover. Or, contact us to have a script developed for your specific need.
Based on the feedback and question received, we tried to make product templates for the 6 major areas most requested.
- New Website Announcement
- Product Press Release
- Fundraiser Press Release
- Information Press Release
- Contest Press Release
- Generic, as a catchall to be customized
Tips, Press Release Template Format
- This news story is not simply to sing your praises. It’s meant for the media outlet’s audience. Why would it interest that audience?
- Use an attention-grabbing headline. However, make sure that it isn’t salesy. It needs to be specific and concise. For example: “New Research Shows Wearable Tech Improves Fitness Results by 74%”.
- Use the first paragraph to answer all the important questions journalists need to know like who, what, where, when, why & how.
- Avoid hype. Don’t use big words and adjectives. Steer clear of jargon and promises that you can’t back up. Stick to the facts, ma’am.
- Focus on benefits: What problems do you solve for your customers or website visitors?
- Back up your claims with facts and statistics. Use quotes that add credibility to what you’re saying.
- Make the most of quotes. Quoting a customer, an employee, or someone notable who is familiar with your company or product adds personality to your press release. Two to three quotes in your release can help make it more compelling to the media.
- Give them access to more. Make sure to let people know where they can learn more. For the media, this may mean directing them to your media page.
- Use an editor for your press release format. Make sure to have your press release edited by someone with good attention to detail. All spelling and grammar errors should be fixed. A solid editor can also help ensure your sentence structure is as concise and compelling as possible.
- Write a rough draft. Draft your press release first. Make sure you have all the important information in your content. Then, you can go back, tighten up the message, and polish it. You may have a few drafts before it’s ready to be sent to the media.
Generic Press Release Format:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Attention-Getting Headline in Bold Goes Here
Phone: phone number & availability
Alternate Phone Number: phone number
Email: email@example.com URL: www.yourdomain.com
City, State – quick one to two sentence summary about the information in your press release.
First Paragraph. Grab the attention of the reader here. Answer the important questions like who, what, where, when, why & how
Body paragraph – More information and facts.
Body paragraph – Add a quotation to break up the release and make for easy reading. Quotations can be from you or a testimonial from a customer.
Call to action. Direct the reader to the page on your website where she can find more information on your announcement.