Brand Recognition, Options Evaluation, Company Name Ideas Review & Finalization.
But your reading conflicting information about choosing a Keyword Domain Name or Brandable Domain Name?
I think we all know the direction TPAs took from the start. It made sense, and in many ways still does, but now the rules have changed. Each new algorithm change brings a new perspective and approach to making your brand stand out and easily found.
Pure “category killer” domains are not as influential in rankings as they used to be, technically true. but do not confuse how SEO works vs. how people work when looking at company name ideas.
People type, into the browser, what they are looking for:
- You don’t have to type www. anymore, so people naturally type the keyword in. Those searching for your services (e.g. HSABenefit) type that keyword into their browser and search, and the more people are looking for that keyword/service (your keyword domain) – the more likely they will end up, organically, on your site.
If you have the time, money, and skill you can rank anything for any term you want, but why would you want to?
That is the key to Keyword Brand Names -When evaluating company name ideas. Users are already typing them in. You do not have to spend the same kind of time, money, and resources to drive traffic to a keyword or term the end-users are already typing into Google. Choose the right brand name and this traffic becomes yours.
Keyword Brand Name = Trust & Credibility in the Eyes of Potential Visitors
That’s one the pillars of the keyword domain, it’s followed by trust, credibility, and ease of being found by those looking for your services
Your investment in a premium keyword domain will dramatically change and reduce your marking costs as it related to developing and increasing brand recognition, awareness and ranking.
This is a note from an SEO writer, friend of mine, in a recent personal exchange:
- Google has addressed the issue of domains getting more traffic just because it was heavily laden with keywords. This was unfair since anyone who could simply afford to purchase such a domain would get potentially massive increased click-troughs even if the website was simply sprinkled with keywords and no relevant content. So, I am pretty happy with the most recent updates. Now, what I have been making sure my clients understand is – this doesn’t reduce the importance of the right brand name, it emphasizes “having the right one” for your business.
Company Name ideas that include a domain name that makes up your brand name or a phase or vision (brandable) can be great. but a powerful keyword domain name will be far easier to remember for customers, which in turn make you far easier to find and do business with.
Regardless of SEO and algorithm changes – Keyword Domains will always be your business’s most powerful and cost-effective business growth and marketing tool.
To quote my friend one again “because it (Keyword Domain Name) suits the products your company offers, and you automatically become easier to find in the search results.”.
Having the best domain name for your business can best be thought of like this: your domain is your online (worldwide 24/7) presence and it matters in the same way that a store on a busy street can do wonders for physical branding. If your customers can’t find you, you cannot succeed. It’s really that simple.
Having a good, short, relevant, premium domain name can provide proof and create trust with customers. Smaller brands establish themselves quickly as professional space leaders, and customer trust that your brand can live up to their expectations.
The right domain conveys confidence in your brand and you will see the results in type in traffic.
This is basically because new administrators or products can seem suspicious to customers – particularly in today’s environment of identity theft and hacking.
- Think about all the emails and website links you get – next think about the ones you may open and more importantly the ones you delete immediately. Many of those deleted may have been amazing potential partners but without instant trust and credibility – the message will be ignored, and link not clicked out of concern.
Help Customers Believe in your Brand
In the end, having a credible premium keyword domain name helps customers believe in your brand and that your business deserves their business. When a customer easily recognizes that your company invested significantly to develop a content rich site, with relevant resources, and have secured a premium keyword domain name, then they can be confident your business (products & service) must be just as reliable.
It is the start of your journey to the top search space on the big G.
Why the value of domain name is so often overlooked is truly supersizing, think about this:
- The amount of money, time, and resources it takes to rank Flexible Benefits (for example) on a site like www.SargentBenefitCharacter(not real) would likely be more expensive buying www.CompanyBenefit.com (I Guarantee it) – and certainly is far less professional, as well as unlikely to build confidence with visitors.
- The right Keyword domain name would leave significant resources available for growing your business rather than establishing brand recognition.
Gives an Edge
It’s difficult to have an edge over your competitors because in this day and age there’s so many of them. Never-mind the ones just starting up, the ever-changing regulatory environment, and the general benefits and insurance confusion we are all trying to manage.
Your Brand is an important part of planning and the choice of your domains must account for long-term objectives and attracting as well as driving targeted traffic.
Your domain is your first impression, it’s on your business card, in your email, it demonstrates to visitors that your brand is fresh, active, important, managed based on new technology and standards, and helps you brand gain that needed edge in this competitive market.
Get More Targeted Traffic
It’s a smart move to choose a domain name that doesn’t use the name of your brand or company, but rather what your brand specializes in – the Keyword of your space. With well-developed keyword domain your brand will pop up in search results more frequently, especially when compared to how people would now have to search you’re your brand (or URL) specifically.
- Are you in top page for searches for your services right now? Does your company come up when someone is searching for benefit administration? Who does rank at the top when you search?
Your Keyword Domain allows people to easily find your website when they’re looking for services and products that are similar to what your business offers. Also, your domain name becomes visible (shows in more related searches) to people that are searching for information on similar services or looking for support. Overall, with the help of the right keyword domain name, your brand becomes visible and you get closer to your growth and development goals.
Increase Awareness Among Target Population
With all of our industry’s M&A activity there is potential for confusion among participants and business loss due to poor engagement and brand un-awareness. Choosing the right domain name can help increase the awareness during blending or brand transition with the participants and employer groups being added. A domain name that reminds your members just who you are, how you will help them, and what exactly they are being asked to click on it for will stay with them and reinforce your messaging.
Participants are warned constantly and hate the sinking feeling of having visited a site to find the name to appear spammy or inconsistent with what they expect. Or worse an amazing site, rich with info and resources, only to have forgotten the domain name because it was too lengthy and difficult (how many customers do you think have missed the opportunity to work with you for this very reason?).
This is why it helps to have a shorter and impact-full domain name that is catchy, keyword rich, remembered and helps people return when they want to.
- Moreover, having your customers remember the name of your website is a great way to help promote your brand through them. This word-of-mouth branding is extremely helpful among skeptical buyers.
Choosing the Right Domain Name?
Businesses need the right kind of information before diving into the task of choosing a domain name. There aren’t any clear instructions on how to do this because it completely depends upon a brand’s own objectives, target, and products.
So Where do you begin?
Do not be fooled by the hype, misinformation, or lack of understanding by” the experts”.
Does this sound familiar? “purchasing domains that contain targeting keywords are a thing of the past and Exact Matching Domains aren’t helpful in increasing rankings.” The missing point here is “automatically”, IMO, it doesn’t automatically increase ranking – but it certainly helps.
- People type in keywords and land directly in keyword site – no marketing, that is what people do. I may type HSABenefit.com when looking for an HSA Administrator – if I don’t know where to start I probable wont search for fringe or 125 (*etc.) as I wouldst know to. Keywords will have the most type in organic traffic
- Trust. if I land on HSAQualified.com and asked to provide personal information to open an account, I feel trust for that domain. On the other hand, if my name is MyHealthcardaccount.com – not sure I am offering my SSN to open my Health Savings Account there.
- Your domain is your storefront to the world, make sure everyone wants to come in and look around. Become a resource, and authority, and create a better health and benefit experience.
This doesn’t mean that you should only consider keyword domains, brandable domains can be extremely powerful and a solid investment.
Rather, keep keywords as the focal point in choosing a domain name. We must also not overlook the many other factors in domain selection (traffic, value, projection, earnings, etc.). We do not want to only consider exact match keyword domain names because that can lead to choosing a domain name that doesn’t match any current search traffic. Basically, if your product or idea is too new – people just are not naturally searching or “typing it in” just yet.
In that case it is a matter of prioritizing your marketing goals and expectations in organic web traffic. Review keyword traffic by checking through Google’s keyword tools. Proceed only when you’re satisfied with the search volume of the keyword
The next big one is to consider the cost and keyword combination that are possible/available. The truth is – any domain of value is not available to register, it was purchased long ago, and if not in use is likely owned by an investor.
This is why we advocate for domains to be a major and leading line item in any marketing plan. The right brand name will allow you to restructure of all subsequent marketing and branding efforts.
If the “right” keyword domain name can reduce your outbound marketing costs by $50,000 yearly maybe a $10,000 domain is an amazing business investment
– realistically, in that scenario, a 3 X multiple would be an amazing deal.
Google loves sites developing brands (in our case a Keyword Brand) and rewards you for offering quality, relevant, content related to your keyword (note, I didn’t say brand). Having your brand as your keyword and in your URL, is where we start seeing the rewards more quickly – as your social and brand presence develops – whether it’s social media or search engines.
Defining, communicating, and engaging your brand will improve responses, shares, and the rate at which users will be able to identify and find you online – from within the sea of “Flex” names that return now.
Always remember: it’s important to stay creative and memorable so that your brand stays in mind and is easily found.