While brainstorming ideas for a client request, we stumbled upon a baby naming book. This book is interesting because the author has some pretty strong opinions as to what makes a "good" baby name. Now, all day - everyday, we are immersed in naming and branding of businesses and products of all types, and have very strong feelings as to what makes a "good" name as well. But, what made this particular book different was how it was applied to a baby, a person, not a new software or blog. That alone made it a "must read" (haha), what really made this book jump out was that the concepts the author used are, for the most part, applicable to choosing a great business name. Let's look at a little bit and make sense of using baby business name ideas.
Baby business name ideas, what?
Here are the main points for choosing a "good" baby name, made by the author, with our added (=) applied to business translation:
- Think of your child's future =Choose the right Brand Name for from the start and for the long term
- Know what you are looking for =Planning and research is essential, use a professional Domain Broker
- How does it sound =Does it pass the "radio test"
- Common or Unique =Keyword or Brandable
- Relatives and friends, Ancestry and heritage, Meaning, Initials and nicknames',Celebrity
- translation = falls into "brainstorming" ideas
Baby business name ideas, to Avoid
What to avoid when choosing a baby name (ummm, business name?), per the author. These baby business name ideas dont need a translation as they work "as-is".
- Cute names
- difficult to spell or pronounce
- Names that don't match
- Using place names
- Think about their future
It's is really just so interesting to see how some of the naming and branding concepts are thought of and used in a completely different context than we are use to.
Check out our Domain Appraisal Guide to dig a bit deeper into "technical" factors that are considered when determining the quality of a domain name or brand.